Thursday, July 10, 2008

A small step ...

Even though Varun has been communicating with us in so many ways - an affectionate look, a weepy face, asking questions by pointing to the picture of the object he wants to know the word for and saying 'uh?', generally squealing in delight and running with his arms outstretched when he is happy with his world, gritting his teeth and hugging his teddy bear or his mum and dad to express his love - today, it really hit home for me.

He said his first half-sentence. I closed a door and he said a crystal-clear, and perfectly pronounced (except for the incorrect consonant) 'bung kar de' (close it). This is so because I keep telling him to close cabinet drawers, doors and other things that he has opened to pry into. This time he got his own back. Even though it was after I had completed the task.

He had been trying to say this for a day or so with 'bung-kede' and similar sounds. The fact that he got it right brightened his eyes and mine too. He was darn pleased with himself and I was struck by the realization that he and I were really on the way ... not just towards talking with each other but hopefully talking the same language.

So, this one is just so that, when you grow up - if sometimes - you don't understand my words and I yours, I shall remember that we have come a long, long way from the time we both took that first small step ... and how it felt to know what you wanted to say.

No comments: